Monday 19 January 2009

Censored on iPM Blog!

The following post has just been removed from the iPM blog. The subject is the long debate on Thought for the Day. So now we atheists are suffering not only discrimination but censorship too. Shame on you BBC.

478. At 5:06pm on 18 Jan 2009, GarethTh wrote:

“I refuse to engage with you on this simply because you have an endless capacity to denigrate the work of the Church and it is getting ridiculous. I have been disappointed to see that the real thrust of the atheist input here is still primarily about attacking those who hold religious views rather than simply seeking an equal voice on TftD, which I have already said was reasonable in itself. What more do you want, sir”?

I replied:

In case you make a surprise return your defence of the denial of condoms in Africa by the catholic church and the affect that this has had on HIV/Aids is well attested to. I have yet to hear any reputable health agency say that using condoms does anything but help in its prevention. I imagine the Terrence Higgins Trust does recommend the use of condoms, so which policy demonstrates greater humanity? Denigrate the church I don’t think so, it’s actions speak louder than my words.

I attack those policies that the religious accept but are demonstrably immoral. If I were to make a list islam would be at the top of it with catholicism not far behind. The reason I attack those policies is that I am continually being told that religion has moral authority; my purpose is to show that it doesn’t and pleasant though you appear to be you have said nothing that would change the mind of a reasonable person.

All the Best

1 comment:

Gundleman said...

It is disgraceful that your comment has been censored. I have followed your posts through the debate and agree with everything you have said, and admire your clarity. The moral authority argument is crucial to the TFtD debate, but it obviously ruffles feathers when challenging Catholic morality (however justifiable). Maybe arguing positively for the value of humanist morality would be more productive in that it wouldn't alienate those trapped in the contadictions of their religions.